Our Early Years Foundation Stage consists of Year R (Ages 4-5)
Each day children in Year R have teacher directed sessions for phonics, literacy and numeracy. Phonics sessions follow Bookwings, a phonics approach that brings to life the teaching of systematic phonics alongside the love of children's story books.
During child initiated sessions the children are supported to learn through play; consolidating what they have been taught in adult led sessions. Year R children have daily access to an undercover outside area suitable for all weathers as well as an outdoor area where they are able to explore the outside world.
Children are also taught in smaller focus groups throughout the day, these groups cover all aspects of the Early Years Curriculum.
Every child deserves the best possible start in life and the support that enables them to fulfil their potential. Children develop quickly in the early years and a child’s experiences have a major impact on their future life chances. There are four principles which underpin our Early Years and Foundation Stage (EYFS) Curriculum:
- A unique child – every child is a competent learner from birth who can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.
- Positive relationships - so that children feel safe and cared for.
- Enabling environment – we provide a rich and varied environment which supports children’s learning and development. It gives them the confidence to explore and learn in a secure and safe, yet challenging, indoor and outdoor space.
- Learning and developing – children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates. In their play, children learn at their highest levels. We provide wide ranging and varied interests that engage and involve children for sustained periods.
The EYFS curriculum is divided into seven areas of learning and development, the Prime Areas (Communication and Language, Physical Development and Personal, Social and Emotional Development) are particularly crucial for igniting children’s curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, and for building their capacity to learn, form relationships and thrive. The Specific Areas (Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts and Design) help to strengthen and apply the prime areas.
More information about Early Years Education can be found here.
EYFS Yearly Overview & 7 Learning Areas
- EYFS Curriculum Overview
- Physical Development
- Communication and Language
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
EYFS Curriculum Overview
Communication and Language
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Understanding the World
Expressive Arts and Design